Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Do You Like Beets ???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ha_asfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Posts
    680
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you're a Beet freak, try this great Thermowell recipe: wash and trim your beets, put into Thermowell pot with about a third cup of water, cover and cook on full fire for 15 minutes or so. Turn the fire off completely and allow to cook on retained heat and the pilot light for 12 hours or so. The beet fibers break down and become incredibly tender and sweet, similar to oven roasted but so moist...too easy, too simple and too delicious.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Joe Pieweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27th, 2005
    Posts
    232
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    19 viewings and no replys... Somehow beets just don't seem to elicit the same impassioned response as oatmeal. Go figure.

    My wife loves 'em. I'll give it a try. Thanks

    Joe

  3. #3
    Inactive Member lowracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2006
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The beet goes on...

    [img]http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/12/10/inside-sonnycher2.jpg[/img]

    yeah the beet goes on...

    Can't stand beets myself.


    Or Sonny and Cher for that matter but I just couldn't resist.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ha_asfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Posts
    680
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    as it turns out, beets seem to have a rather "private" following. although there are no public responses to my beet query, i received several private emails from other beet happy people. their privacy will be repsected and i will not be releasing a list of beet freaks or, as alan ginsburg would say, beat freaks. i would consider myself tobe a beat beet freak and proud of it. just keep the greenbeans off my plate and out of my kitchen.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member annnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2005
    Posts
    225
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like beets, although maybe not to a freakish level. And as a matter of fact, happen to have a nice rotund, organic one that was just waiting to learn how to stew itself in the twell. I'll give it a try today (sans pilot). Thanks Ha!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Ms V's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2005
    Posts
    260
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Ha for the beet recipe, sure hope it is posted to our recipe page.

    Yeaaaa beet lovers. GO! Go! Go! We love beets, don't have them often enough, also put them cold on salads, Ken's mom used to do pickled beets, but then she was born and raised in TX, I just moved here.

    As for green beens...Ken wouldn't touch them, he lived with them as an Aggie, the way he tells it he had them for breakfast too....v

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lowracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2006
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I always hated it when that vinegary purple beet juice ran into the mashed potatoes. Pretty much ruined those, turned them mushy and sour. I love mashed potatoes and reject any food which runs across the plate just to ruin them! [img]cool.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member treatmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2005
    Posts
    305
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    for beet salad I use apple cider vinegar, canola oil, S&P and sugar to taste pour over the beets and onions and let the flavors meld for an hour. Delicious. Again I apologize for not listing proportions. I "eyeball" all my ingredients when cooking. Only measure when I'm baking.

    Treatmaker

  9. #9
    Inactive Member BlueBeetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love Beetles!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ha_asfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Posts
    680
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i love those sliced beets with onion slices in a vinegary liquid...anyone know how to make this cold dish ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •